Sustainable + ethically conscious jewellery
What is sustainable + ethically conscious jewellery?
Sustainable and ethically conscious decisions are based on prioritising environmental and human well-being while avoiding harmful practices. As a jeweller, I strive to create purposeful pieces using high-quality materials and techniques that align with this ethos. Every material and technique I use is thoughtfully considered for its impact on our earth and people. I am dedicated to choosing materials and techniques that have the least negative impact, and I am constantly learning and improving in order to create stunning jewellery with love and intention.
My commitment to sustainable + ethically conscious jewellery
As a jeweller who values a sustainable and ethical ethos in my life and work, I am committed to making jewellery using resources and practices that care for our earth and people. By working this way I can maximise my impact for good, while making jewellery that respects our natural resources and people.
As part of my commitment to sustainable and ethically conscious making, I:
- Use repurposed, recycled and fairmined metals from trusted suppliers;
- Reuse and refine scrap metal in my studio;
- Use ethically sourced or upcycled gemstones;
- Source materials from transparent and responsible supply chains where possible;
- Use alternatives to harsh chemicals where possible;
- Avoid pouring toxic chemicals into drains and use specialised disposal facilities;
- Maintain my tools, repair and buy second-hand where possible;
- Reuse, recycle and upcycle in my jewellery studio;
- Consciously minimise waste and avoid overproduction;
- Use recycled and sustainable packaging;
- Use recycled paper and card for printed stationary;
- Use paperless invoicing;
- Use solar electricity in my studio;
- Educate consumers on sustainable and ethically conscious making;
- Strive to better my understanding of sustainable and ethical jewellery practices.
Living a sustainable life
My commitment to sustainability flows throughout my life. I choose to consume less and live simply. I buy secondhand and invest in slow fashion choices. I grow my own organic fruit and vegetables in an urban garden without chemicals. I compost everything I can to return nutrients to the earth. My chicken coop provides organic fresh eggs. I recycle and reuse as much as possible. And, I use solar electricity and water-saving devices.